To mark Carbon Literacy Action Day (7 Nov 2022), as well as the start of COP27, we’re sharing a list helpful resources for libraries, archives, museums and heritage organisations in the UK on a subject that everyone, across the sector and society as a whole, must engage with: carbon literacy.
The Carbon Literacy Project define carbon literacy as:
“An awareness of the carbon dioxide costs and impacts of everyday activities, and the ability and motivation to reduce emissions, on an individual, community and organisational basis.”
This list collates some of the resources and training that organisations across the cultural sector can access for free.
The list was compiled by Axiell’s Louise McAward-White, following our internal carbon literacy training. Louise and a group of Axiell colleagues have formed Axiell UK’s Sustainability group to measure and reduce the business’ carbon footprint. For more on this, you can read all about Axiell UK’s journey into carbon literacy and sustainability.
…Or read on, for a list of free carbon literacy resources available for archives, museums, libraries and galleries in the UK. Note that links and information are correct as of 3 November 2022.
- Culture Declares Emergency
- Julie’s Bicycle Creative Climate Justice
- Julie’s Bicycle/Arts Council England Environmental Programme
- Creative Green Certification
- Local Government Association Climate Change hub
- ARA Environmental Sustainability and Climate Change group
- National Archives: Assessing your environmental impact
- CILIP Green Libraries Manifesto
- CILIP Green Libraries Resources
- CILIP Scotland CILIPSGoGreen resources
- Roots and Branches project delivers Carbon Literacy training to museums via regional Museum Development providers. Links below go direct to relevant pages about Carbon Literacy, or upcoming Carbon Literacy training on offer – most are offering training in early 2023.
- Museum Development North East
- Museum Development Yorkshire
- Museum Development North West
- Museum Development East Midlands
- Museum Development West Midlands
- Share East (East of England)
- Museum Development London
- South East Museum Development
- South West Museum Development
- Museums and Galleries Scotland
(We couldn’t find anything for Northern Ireland and Wales – please contact email@example.com to correct or update the list with any other helpful resources!)
Further museum/gallery resources
- Museum Next Green Museums Summit
- Museums for Climate Action
- ICON Sustainability Group
- Museums Association Museums for Climate Change
- Climate Museum UK