Technical and human resources requirements for working with your Axiell CMS
1. Network infrastructure
This issue has normally been taken care of by your IT department. Axiell Hosting is the best solution if IT support or infrastructure is not available.
- Database server
- Application server
- Hardware monitoring
- Software updates
- User administration
- Backup and data recovery
2. Application Administration
For this area you need to get more familiar with your Collections Management System (CMS) and administrative tools. This administrative task could be centralised if you want a common administration of numerous archives, libraries or museums.
- Configuration and administration of access rights
- Customising entry forms and fields
- Customising of output formats
- Defining workflows
- Adding and editing of entry guidelines and online help texts
3. First level support
These support tasks should be taken care of by one or two members of staff who are present in the institution most of the time.
- Introduction to CMS for new staff
- Support in searching and data entry
- Help with technical issues (like record locks or other error messages)
- Communication with the Axiell helpdesk
4. Double checking terminology
A controlled vocabulary helps you to find exactly the kind of information you are looking for. To ensure consistent data entry when numerous people are entering terms, a regular double check of candidate terms is necessary. This task also requires background knowledge about the collections as well as basic IT skills.
- Double checking and correction of the existing terminology
- Validation of new terms
- Data enrichment by employing links to external authority files (like TGN, AAT, etc.)
5. Publishing information
This task requires the collaboration of different departments. A thorough planning and definition of roles and responsibilities is necessary.
- Define: what information should be published for what purpose and where?
- Selection of objects
- Definition of the data structure
- Double checking the content and data
- Double checking copyright, exploitation rights etc.
- Customising the web application according to your objectives
- Management of user feedback
- Updating presentation type and content